Friday 15 November 2013

11 November – Port Lincoln – Great White Shark cage dive (by Josh)



D-day had arrived!! Today I was ticking my last natural wonder of Australia’s wildlife off my bucket list, a swim with Great White Sharks.  While my encounter with this apex predator was to be behind bars it still had the adrenalin running.

The morning started very early as the cage dive was in the Neptune Islands approximately 30+ miles or 3 hours by boat south of Port Lincoln. I was picked up by taxi and driven down to the marina. 23 other willing and some unwilling Shark swimmers were also joining me today.  The cage was attached to the back of the boat and was the start of the days many highlights. It reinforced the day’s uncertainties.  It is built in town from aluminium and holds no more than 6 divers at once. The air is pumped down to the divers via an on board compressor and the open gap that you look out from is apparently safe and measured to a “Great White standard” so they said. So after signing my life away and waiving all responsibilities we set sail with the engines to the Neptune Islands, home of a 4,000+ fur seal colony that had some hungry neighbours. The trip out was rough but pretty. We passed many Tuna holding cages. These cages hold the Port Lincoln economy till they are ready to be sold, fattening daily. There are many islands that scatter this rugged coast. The islands were named after crew lost at sea by Matthew Flinders during his circumnavigation in 1802.

We finally arrived and anchored in the Neptune Islands marine park. The crew lowered the cage and prepared the water with the Shark attractant, commonly known as blood, guts and Tuna intestines on a rope! I was in the first group of 6 so after suiting up I was straight in. The moment I recovered from the instant cold snap (14deg) I could see the first Shark. It was smallest of the day, 2.5m and was not the one the cage gap standards were measured from but still big enough to ripe an arm off.  The first sight close up of these amazing creatures for me was a dream fulfilled. They are built to kill, full stop. While there was a slight delay till the next encounter the blood and guts that we floated in was doing its job. There were 6 sharks within the hour I was in this cage, coming and going numerous times.  The largest was closer to 5 meters long while most were 4+ meters. The crew hurled the bait out and then drag it towards the cage giving you a pretty darn close view of their power and teeth. Many would swim around the bait and then swim across the gap of the cage. They would approach the bait slowly and then with one explosive whoosh of the tail, bite the bait similar to ripping a surfer’s leg to pieces and shaking it furiously. Their eyes are pure black and medusa like. The smaller shark would stare you down every time before turning and showing you who was boss. He came at one point so close to the cage that the point of his nose was just inside the gap of the cage before then turning to his side.  It was enough for me to drop to my knees. Lucky the compressor was pumping the air as I was sucking it dry!!

Well time was up and we exited the cage. The shaking and banging against the boat due to the swell had left some memories on my body but well worth it. The rest of the day was spent on the boat and watching the action from the surface. I was thankful by day’s end that I was in the first group with Tony, Jason and Ann as they had a couple of go- pros so there were memories.

An amazing day that I will never forget and another highlight in an amazing year!

P.S. - I had flake for dinner ….


[Meanwhile, Megan, Zoe and Samantha remained behind at the caravan catching up on some schoolwork.  They did get out of the van for a late lunch and browse about the local K-Mart to break up the day.]










































No comments:

Post a Comment